Prepare Your 3-Minute Testimony
Jesus told His followers - “You are witnesses of these things.”
Everybody has a story. This is a chance to practice yours.
As followers of Jesus, we are “witnesses”, too - “testifying” about the impact Jesus has had on our lives. Your story of your relationship with God is called your Testimony. Everybody has a story. Sharing your Testimony is a chance to practice yours.
There are endless ways to shape your story, but here are some ways that we’ve seen work well:
- A Simple Statement - You can share a simple statement about why you chose to follow Jesus. This works well for a brand new believer.
- Before and After - You can share your “before” and “after” story - what your life was like before you knew Jesus and what your life your life is like now. Simple and powerful.
- With and Without - You can share your “with” and “without” story - what your life is like “with Jesus” and what it would be like “without Him”. This version of your story works well if you came to faith at a young age.
When sharing your story, it’s helpful to think of it as part of a three-part process:
- Their Story - Ask the person you are talking with to share about their spiritual journey.
- Your Story - Then share your Testimony shaped around their experience.
- God’s Story - Finally share God’s story in a way that connects with their world-view, values and priorities.
Your Testimony doesn’t have to be lengthy or share too many details to be impactful. In fact, keeping your story to around 3-minutes will leave time for questions and deeper conversation. If you’re worried about how to get started - keep it simple. God can use your story to change lives, but remember - you’re the one who gets to tell it.
- What false fears keep us from sharing our testimony?
- What makes a testimony effective? Where does its power come from?